- This event has passed.
Spring 2016 Orientation Session
March 19, 2016 @ 8:00 am - March 21, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
The?orientation?will be held at the?Le Meridien Hotel. If you need a ride to the hotel, we will meet at Qasid at?7:30 am?on?Monday, December 28th. The bus will leave for the hotel?at?8:10am?sharp.?For those arranging their own transportation, the Le Meridien?s address is provided below.?
If you miss the bus from Qasid, you will have to manage your own transportation to the venue.
A shuttle bus returning to Qasid will be available as well. The shuttle will depart every hour starting at?2:30pm.?From Qasid, students will be responsible for transportation to their own apartments.
7:30 – 8:10 am: Students meet at Qasid
?8:10 am: Students leave Qasid by bus transport for the venue
?8:40 ? 9:30 am:?Orientation?sign-in, light refreshments served
?9:30 – 10:45 am: General?Orientation
?10:45 ? 11:00 am: Break
?11:00 am ? 12:00 pm: Academic Presentation
?12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch Break
?1:00 – 4:30 pm: Written Placement Exam & Oral Interviews?
Address for Le Meridien Hotel in English and Arabic:?Le M?ridien Amman |?Queen Noor Street | Shmeisani?(Dakelyah?circle Next to the Iskan bank complex B)|?Amman- Jordan | (962)(6) 569 6511 |?Hotel Address?(click?here?to view a map)
Le Meridien Amman Hotel is located in the heart of Jordan’s capital and the centre of Amman’ s Shmeisani business and diplomatic district.
?Address for Qasid:?22 Queen Rania Street (University Road). We are located on the third floor of Building 22 (also known as the “Sony Building”), next to Mukhtar Mall (click?here?to view a map).
?For students taking a taxi, please either copy down or print out the following Arabic text of our address and take it with you. This way, you may either read the address to the cab driver or simply hand him the piece of paper (if you choose the latter, we recommend having the text printed out rather than writing it down). If all else fails, please call us at 06-515-4364 (Qasid’s land line number), Omar Matadar at 077- 670-3222, or Ayman Al Adarbeh at 077-655-3363.
?1) You will be given a written exam to determine which level you should enter. There will be no need to prepare or cram for the exam.
?2) Oral Interviews: These are given to gauge your level of spoken Arabic and comprehension. They will be held during the first day of?orientation?(time permitting) or on?December 29th or 30th at Qasid. ?
3) For students who have not paid their tuition, please come prepared to do so. You may make your payment with cash (USD or JD) or credit card (Visa or MasterCard; please note that an extra?2.5%?is added to any credit card transactions outside of your country of residence).?Checks are not accepted.
4) If your arrival to Jordan is scheduled for after?5:00 am?on December 28th, please come in to Qasid?the day after your arrival at?10:00 am?for a placement exam (i.e. if you arrive at?2:00pm?on December 28th??you?ll come in to Qasid at 10:00am?on the 29th. If you arrive on the 29th, you?ll come in to Qasid at?10:00 am?on the 30th and so on). ??
5) Students who arrive after the?orientation?on December 28th are asked to come in to Qasid on the 30th at?12:00pm?for a make-up?orientation.
6) Students will be taken on an outing to Ajloun on Saturday, January 2nd. The details of this trip will be provided at the?orientation.
7) Interactive Survival Arabic Video Series:
This online resource will prepare you for the first two or three weeks of your stay in Jordan. It covers some basic expressions and phrases required for daily communication. The topics covered are greetings, introducing oneself, currency and numbers, and useful expressions and compliments. Each topic ends with a dialogue that activates some of the phrases and it is provided in both audio and text format. Finally, you have the opportunity to contribute to an online discussion activity on each topic through text and/or audio.
Go ahead and get started by clicking on the link below to create an account and access the resource page.
Don?t miss the opportunity to interact in the online discussions at the end of each topic!
8) The first day of class is?Thursday, December 31st?and, due to scheduling issues, the schedule of classes will be sent the evening before classes begin (i.e. on December 30th in the late evening).?
9) At Qasid, our weekend is Fridays & Saturdays, and we hold classes the rest of the week. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us during those days?
10) Finally, we have prepared the following ?pre-arrival? videos in order to make your trip to Jordan as smooth as possible:
See you all soon!
?The General?Orientation?session is meant to provide those new to Jordan with an overall picture of life in Amman. The presentation will cover a wide range of topics (everything from visa procedures to water use) and will attempt to answer the most common questions or concerns students have regarding their stay in Amman outside of the classroom. Students who already live in Amman, or have visited before, may find the presentation somewhat less beneficial. As such, attendance is optional.?
?**During the Academic?Orientation?session, many academic policies and procedures will be explained.?Attendance is mandatory.
?We look forward to having you on board. If you have any further questions, feel free to email them to me.?